Sometimes you just need to scrap everything and just start over.
I was obsessing so much over colors and patterns for this (my first) crochet blanket, that it got to a point where I realized I was trying to force the yarn and colors to be something they are not. I love the motif and was so eager to just get going, that I compromised. Cotton really wasn't the right choice for a blanket and those colors weren't vibrant enough for what I had in mind. Also, there were just too many colors and trying to work them all into a pattern where each combination gave enough weight to each color was making me nuts!
So, very much like what I do when I'm struggling with trying to make a design concept work when it clearly isn't working –– I scrapped everything and started over.
As expected, I was able to pick yarn, colors, crochet motif combinations and work them all into a pleasing blanket pattern in about two hours.
It's annoying, but sometimes you just have to go through the process to really figure out what it is you need to do to make things click.
So here is what I came up with:
I found a nice merino/acrylic blend from a trip to Michael's a while back. I know. It's Michael's. But I loved these colors and the yarn is soft and washable.
I then pulled out the graph paper and worked out how to arrange them into some kind of pattern, counted out the amount of squares for each motif and figured out approximate dimensions.
Done and DONE.
Now I can relax (I think) and just enjoy the process.